Monday, September 8, 2008

A kind-a busy weekend -

The weekend started off with Rico picking me up after work and going over to the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park to see the Chihuly Exhibition of glass.


Now, I am am not a fan of modern anything (as you well know) but there are some things that really get my attention and his magnificent glass is just that something!!!!! I have seen his work in lots of cities and this exhibit was just spectacular!!!!!
- here are some snaps -








I took a ton of photos and will post them through the week. If you ever get the chance to see any of his work you should really try and see it. Just a magnificent vision and the colours are just stupendous!! We went on Friday afternoon as the crowds were nonexistent and we were going back on Sunday with some friends and knew it would be much more difficult to see everything with the press of people that attend on the weekend.

Saturday we started off with breakfast at Eddies - so good - and then we ran a ton of errands.

Sunday also started off with breakfast out but this time we chose a place in our neighborhood called Toast - a new place and always so crowded - but really good. Then is was off to the Museum to meet up with Nick and Kathleen and his parents to see Chihuly again - this time the experience was way different - as there were about 10,00 people there with the same idea - and we got there when they opened - I guess it is the weekend and the show is closing in 3 weeks that made so many of us have the same idea.

I worked on three things stitchy this weekend - two exchanges and VoHRH
- here is a snap of where Village is now -



I finished off Opal's square and then moved on to square 7 and panicked that I had cut linen too small for this to fit so I had to do part of the border for square 10 just so I wouldn't worry through squares 7,8 & 9 wondering if my fabric was too small
- now isn't that just me being really nuts!!!!

I also want you all to see the blooming cactus - it is really gorgeous -


I have not forgotten you that wanted cuttings - as soon as it stops blooming in the next week or so I will send them out - I read that if I had tried to do anything with it that all the blooms would have dropped and I didn't want that to happen.

I haven't talked about a movie in a long time and I saw a really good on this weekend - called "Atonement" - 2007 - what a super film - I can't recommend this highly enough!!! It jumps around a bit but is really worth it!! Saying all this - I also wanted to add that I am not a Keira Knightley fan - but in this she is just superb!!

I think that is enough for today!!

Thanks for stopping by!!

take care,
edgar

12 comments:

  1. Edar, the cactus is lovely!! VOHRH is coming along super! I am finally going to order this chart after watching your progress! Your weekend looks as fun filled as our trip to Wilmington!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen one of his glass exhibits and it's just fantastic! VOHRH progress is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We own quite a lot of art glass (but no Chihuly, too expensive). There is quite a few glass studios in the Bay Area including Nouret and a great store downtown, Light Opera, near Union Square. Though my favorites are in Seattle. You should rent Chihuly in Venice from Netflix if you haven't already seen it.

    Ah, we have Atonement sitting here from Netflix. My husband hasn't wanted to watch it, so we have been watching other movies (like Michael Clayton). I'll try to watch it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful glass.
    Your cactus is gorgeous - shame that a cutting probably wouldn't survive the overseas trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, pretty cactus :o)) You be careful with it!
    The exhibition looks and sounds fabtastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That exibit is stunning. You got to go twice, lucky you :)

    Your catsu is looking wonderful. Woul you be able to send a cutting to South Carolina? ;)

    Have a wonderful week
    natasha

    ReplyDelete
  7. The law firm I work for has some Chihuly pieces and I always joke that one of these days I'm going to take them out under my coat and sell them for my retirement. Except. They're glued to the surfaces they're placed on! So pretty--I'd love to see an exhibition of a lot of them! I feel your apprehension about that fabric being big enough--would that just be the pits to stitch all the way down and find out it's not long enough? It's why, although I've been stitching forever, I get palpitations about starting anywhere but the middle. Beautiful stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of him, I'll have to look up his name. Your VoHRH is looking grand!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh I am so jealous, I love Chihuly's glass, it looks amazing in your photos!

    VoHRH looks great too, I think I would have done the same with the border ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The exhibitions are definitely eye catching. Very interesting pictures indeed. Thanx for sharing.

    I love watching your progress on VoHRH. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifull glasses! The Frida's exibition was in Lisbon, always overcrowded; I was pregnant in that time and there was no free entrance for pregnants, I miss it and I' m still sad for it... I loved your photos! I have the sama cactus but flowers are red, it's easy to find this kind of flower in Portugal but yours is lovely, with lots os flwers, I don't sucedd to have as many as you can. Have a nice week, I'll be waiting for more beautifull photos... Kisses for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That glass is just stunning! VOHRH is really progressing well and so quickly. I'd have been just like you if I thought I'd cut the fabric too small.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...