Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday movie posting

Here we are again at Friday - on the verge of two days off - and Like Dear Vonna - some serious NBS (numb butt syndrome) is in my future!!!!!!! But, before that happens there are a few more hours of being chained to my work life.

Some more movie talk - Berit wrote a really nice comment yesterday about anime flicks - and although not one of the areas I know a great deal about - I was intrigued about her suggestion about seeing "Omohide Poro Poro" - 1991 - aka "Only Yesterday" and I will look for it at the Video Rental Place near my house in Noe Valley - NetFlix doesn't have it. I have seen Isao Takahata's "Hotaru no Haka" - 1988 - aka "Grave of the Fireflies" and really enjoyed that so I would be interested in another of his movies.

I think that is what I really enjoy most about this Blog stuff - the people I meet- if I wasn't Blog-a-babbling I would miss these opportunities. With that said - if you have a favorite movie you think I should see just let me know - although I have seen lots there are always some I haven't and I may not even know about - so let me know!! My list on netflix is only around 380 or so titles - there is always room for more!!

Last night on TCM was a super evening starting off with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" -1954 - A great musical starring Jane Powell and Howard Keel. This was followed by "The Man Who Knew too Much" - 1956 - starring James Stewart and Doris Day and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I had never seen this film and really enjoyed the whole thing. I have read that this is one of the Hitchcock's that people like the least or not at all, but I enjoyed it and would watch it again. Tonight ends the week long fan programming on TCM and the flicks are very good - at 5/8 pm the evening starts off with"The Maltese Falcon" - 1941 - a really great movie I would highly recommend. This is followed by "So Long at the Fair" - 1950 - starring Jean Simmons and Dick Bogard - I have never seen this film and am looking froward to seeing it, then the evening wraps up with "Silk Stockings" - 1957 a musical remake of Ninotchka that I have seen before - very entertaining with Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. I also want to mention that on HBO on Saturday they will be showing an original production based on the Documentary "Grey Gardens" - 1975 - the HBO Movie stars Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore as Big Edith Bouvier Beale and Little Edie Beale, it looks like a super picture!! It is a sort of prequel to the ladies past and what got them to where they ended up in '75 - all the talk on the Internet about the previews is that this flicker is just great !!


Thanks for stopping by - and - Have a great weekend!!

Take Care
edgar

18 comments:

  1. I reckon it must be about time for you to start watching some good Aussie movies, Edgar....Picnic At Hanging Rock; The Man From Snowy River; Priscilla, Queen of the Desert are just a few iconic Aussie movies! Aveagoodweekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! Great movie and I am always in the mood for a musical! I am ready sit and stitch all weekend! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched "The Man Who Knew Too Much", which is one of my all-time faves. Have you seen "Random Harvest"? It's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blog, you are such a wonderful writer.

    Wish I could have stayed up to watch 'The Man Who Knew too Much'

    Love some of the old movies. My daughter is a big movie buff and knows just about anything there is - she has her degree in cinematography but works in insurance??!! ;o))

    Have a great weekend -- Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edgar, I hope our butts are so numb come Monday - that we could go get the flu shot and never even blink :)
    Stitch on brother...stitch on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about the moves you have been watching. Many times I remember watching them ages ago.... and makes me go out and put them on my net-flix... or pull them out of my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your NBS comment! I hope I have that this weekend...My all time favorite move is Madame X.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My movie pick "Burnt By The Sun" a Russian film with subtitles set in early 1950's Russia. About a WWII hero who is stalked by a KGB agent who is the former lover of the hero's much younger wife. Beautiful scenery at the dacha/summer house. Some creepy/symbolic scenes with a weather balloon with a huge Stalin portait on it. Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had HBO! Would love to see Grey Gardens. Woody Allen movies have always been some of my favorites, especially Annie Hall, but they are not very old. I also love any Alfred Hitchcock movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice of you to mention my rambly comment in your blog!

    Well, as for recommending Only Yeserday, after reading here that Netflix doesn't have it, I had "DUH" moment, because I remembered that it was never released even direct to video stateside except for a single showing that TCM did a few years ago, and imdb shows that it is much in demand regarding petitions for it to be put out on DVD.

    Well, I do have a copy of it, and if you are willing to attempt a viewing, I'd be glad to send it over to you, if it's alright with you to give me your address. :D

    If it is, I can give you my email and you can let me know it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gHi Edgar, thanks for my QFRR which arrived on Thursday.

    Have you seen the movie 'Veronica Guerin' with Cate Blanchett? It's one I would recommend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any evening that starts with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" is going to be awesome. :D

    I am for sure going to catch Grey Gardens sometime this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two of my favorites are To Sir With Love and the Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw a beautiful movie when I was younger that I will never forget, and when I get the chance to see it I curl up on the lounge for a good cry fest. The name of the movie is "Where The Red Fern Grows" and it is about a young boy who's passion in life is to own two coon hounds. Oh its just glorious and I love it. I dont know many people who have seen it, have you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh!, I love "The Maltese Falcon".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Edgar, Could you please e/mail me as I lost my partners info from the stitching bloggers birthdayclub. Thanks. I had some major computerproblems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been either totally swamped or sort of but not quite ill for several days and didn't do any blog hopping. It seems I haven't missed much in the stitching department as you're busy with "no-show" exchange stitching, as am I at the moment. Lo is really looking nice. This must be a really quick stitch because every one I've seen seems to be moving really fast. I dozed off during most of the movies but I did manage to see one of my favs. 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and I also made it all the way through The Name of the Rose, which is really one of my favorite Connery films and I really don't know why, maybe because it's not so James Bond-ish. Anyway it is nice to come here and see your little comments about the ones I missed. Did you know, you are actually a pretty good movie critic? Your crystal bowl find is awfully nice. I have a similar one but bought it retail so I know what a really good deal you got there, sometimes you are really lucky at those sales!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favourite film of all time is the 1973 film 'Don't Look Now' with Julie Christie and a scrummy Donald Sutherland. It just so happens to be on again this week (in the UK) so I'll be getting my fix again.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...