Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday Posting

GR&DF Thank you for all the kind comments from Fridays post. Tessa and I had such a great time over at NIAH - what a super store - and they are moving - just a few blocks away - still on Alameda Island - with the move they will acquire some super parking. I have never really had an issue with parking there on Webster, but knowing there is a little parking lot and the street parking is not metered is even better!! In the comments Sharlotte asked about using "dirty linen" for SoHRH - I think that "Dirty Linen " would be very nice as a linen choice. My eventually going with the called for Autumn Gold - was a long time in coming. When this chart first came out I knew I was going to stitch it - I think it is my favorite over all HRH piece my only hesitation was the linen colour - I felt it was to yellow/gold for my taste and so I just started to collect up the NPI that I needed. I then started to look for something else that was not "yellow/gold" to my eye, but never found anything that I felt would do - so I took a chance and ordered the special cut of the recommended and really lucked out with a not very strong coloured piece with some good splotches and discolourations. Also in the comments Carol asked about the ECU sweatshirt - it is one of the many sweatshirts from ECU that I have and where all the time. East Carolina University is where I went to school - I was the third generation to go there and what a great school and fun place to go!! Go Pirates!!!

This weekend I stitched some on BP Companion - and here is an updated snap -

I remembered why I stopped stitching on this piece this weekend - and it had nothing to do with the linen or silk - but with the actual chart. These charts from Needelprint are printed on one gigantic piece of folded paper that are virtually uncopyable and are a total pain in the butt to work from!!! Since the pattern flows across the folds one is constantly folding, unfolding and refolding on the same creases again and again!! This is not only weakening the folded joints but eradicating the pattern in the process. It would have been so much better to be on 4 or 5 pieces of paper than one large piece of heavy paper that will give out before the finish of the project. I looked and I have quite a few other Needleprint Quakers to do in the stash pile - and I do not see myself fighting another of these buggers anytime soon!!

Dale and I ran around on Saturday to some sales and thrift shops - here is a snap of the things I picked up -

A bit book heavy but could I pass on the two subjects I really enjoy - history and the flicks!! The copy of Brideshead Revisited is an copy from 1945 - the year it was first published - this is one of my all time favorite books and for a $1 how could I pass! Watership Down is a book I have always wanted to read just never had a copy, and for .50 I thought now was the time to acquire one. The little piece of green art pottery c.1915 and old Victorian frame where just two things I had to get along with the chihuahua sign.

I made a coffee cake yesterday and sent it along with Rico - here it is being cut up -

and since everything is better with icing..... here they are the pieces iced.....

It is called "Pecan Streusel" coffee cake from the cookbook Coffee Cakes by Lou Seibert Pappas.

I think that about wraps it up for today - thanks for stopping by!!

Take care,
edgar

16 comments:

  1. Hi Edgar- I'm de-lurking-For your Needleprint chart:
    do you have any friends who work at an architect's office? We have a large format copier- we can make copies up to 42" wide x however long. (Not blueprints, but black on white paper copies).
    A good reprographic store would be able to do it as well, but may take issue with copyrite, and refuse.
    I believe most designers allow a working copy to be made.
    I hope that helps! I'd do it for you but I'm across the country,in MA, south of Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing what you're baking! Always so scrumptious looking! Love your BP Companion. I hear you on the Needleprint charts -- they are a pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for answering my question.:)Love the stitching on the BP companion piece! I haven't though about the Watership Down story in a long long time. Makes me want to pick it up and read it aggain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the BP piece and your baking as always looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That serving plate goes so well with this quaker! :D lol

    I agree with you whole-heartedly on the topic of Shores being the best of the bunch and also about not being quite there with the recommended linen. I wonder if I'll swap it out if I ever decide to "take the plunge" on shores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found that I can make copies of the Needleprint charts at the UPS store on their blueprint copier. A little more expensive but so much less frustration. Keeps the chart intact and I have a working copy.
    I love the colors on that piece. I need to do that one as well, so many charts I want to do....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my does that coffee cake look goooooooooood. I have a weakness for coffee cake. :)

    Your stitching looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edgar, I feel your pain about the Needleprint graph. I ended up copying it over on 8 1/2" X 11" paper slightly overlapping each piece. Now I have the graph in about 6 sheets. I copy all my graphs nowadays and work from the copies so I can make notes as I go along. On the BPC I moved a motif over a couple of stitches and if I hadn't written myself a note I would never have remembered. Your piece is looking fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stitching is gorgeous! Watership Down is my husband's favorite book. He reads it every couple of years. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edgar, you will love Watership Down. Its my favourite book and I have a lovely old copy with the cover the same as yours.
    My profile picture is also taken from the Rabbits of Watership Down.
    LISA V.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An Ava Gardner bio...good find! I bet the Elizabeth Taylor one is good as well. Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a TIG Chart that has the same problem as your Needleprint chart and as I have been working on Celtic Banner on and off (mostly off) for the last 6 years or so the chart is becoming a bit tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ECU is a great school. Lots of kids around here head there after graduation. It was wild seeing a CA guy wearing an ECU sweatshirt. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy on the coffee cake and you got a great haul from the weekend! Your Needleprint is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can sympathize with the chart thing. I don't like big charts! Your sampler is looking great though.
    Love the finds, that little chihuahua sign cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A possible cure for your chart dilemma. Take it to a kinkos and use there blue print/plotter copy machine. Then you can cut the copy up into manageable 8 x 11 inch pieces. That's with I did with my Camelot Sampler chart by Teresa Wentzler

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...