Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Flicker Posting

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends we are once again on the hump of the week - looking gratefully towards the weekend!! I do thank you for the kind comments. The cookies are totally easy to make so try them out. Carol R asked about the pool - the pool is on the lowest level of our Apartment property. Our Buildings are built cascading down the side of "Red Rock" mountain - and the pool is actually on the lowest level with more houses and buildings below built down to the street. Yesterday afternoon we again went for a swim, but yesterday the temps got into the lower 60's with no fog - so it was really quite warm and nice.

There have been lots of films lately - with TCM in the middle of "Summer Under the Stars" an annual event that showcases a different star for each day.

On Saturday the star for the day was the beautiful-

Gene Tierney - 1920-1991

Along with these wonderful films : "The Mating Season" - 1950, "Leave Her to Heaven" - 1945 and "Dragonwyck" - 1948 - TCM showed for the first time "That Wonderful Urge" - 1948 - starring along with Tierney, Tyrone Power, Lucille Watson and Reginald Gardiner. A fun comedy about an heiress and reporter.

On Sunday the focus shifted to a very talented child actress. I usually cringe with horror at child actors and actresses as too saccharin sweet or so very precocious they need a slap and smack about every 2 seconds. There are exceptions and -

Margaret O'Brien is one of them. Although her starring roles in films was shortish - she made an impact every time she got in front of a camera. She made a career of being able to cry on command and it should be noted that she cried in every movie she made. The films of hers that were shown are all very good - "The Canterville Ghost" - 1944, "Little Women" - 1949, "The Secret Garden" - 1949 - and a top 10 favorite of mine - "Meet me in St Louis" - 1944 - starring along with O'Brien in this wonderful film are Mary Astor, Judy Garland, Lucille Bremmer and Leon Ames.

There were also a Netflix Pix Disc - a really good film Noir - "Where Danger Lives" - 1950 - starring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue, Claude Rains and Maureen O'Sullivan. A bad girl - a good guy and murder!! On the lamb and trying to out run the law - They might just make it. I really enjoyed this film and the story line kept me guessing what might happen almost until the end - with some great cinematography. On the same disc was another Film Noir - "Tension" - 1949 - starring Richard Basehart, Audrey Totter and Cyd Charisse - another bad girl looking for fun, but she is married to a meek pharmacist - what's a girl to do??? Become the maul for an underworld henchman of course. Another murder and a frame up! These two films are short and worth a look.

There you go sports fans - thanks for stopping by , do come again!!

Take care,
edgar

4 comments:

  1. Hi Edgar! I watched Leave Her to Heaven, Dragonwyck (what a wench she was!!) and I believe I recorded the Urge one... Then I watched Little Women, The Secret Garden (both I have on VHS, but what the heck!) and recorded Our Vines Have Tender Grapes. Watched it last night! THAT was a new one to me, but it was GREAT!! You must try to see it!! It also starred Edward G. Robinson (!!) and Agnes Morehead... It is a very benign, sweet and simple movie. Just wanted to share. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edgar: the picture of Gene Tierney is soooo beautiful where ever did you find it, I love all the old films and wish more films were made like way back when, I am old enough to remember the films from the middle to late 50s.
    I even like watching silent films.
    Happy stitching to you.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw Margaret O'Brian a couple of weeks ago. A very striking woman for her age of 73!
    I love your movie reviews and your wonderful stitching. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun review Edgar. I just love Meet Me in St Louis...I dare anyone not to feel weepy when Judy Garland sings "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". It gets me every time.......... I'm going to check some of the other ones you mentioned that I haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...