Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Framing and Flicks

GR&DF thank you for your kind comments about the HOE Exchange piece from Janet. It was a totally fun exchange and the HOE is a great group of stitchers. Just like a RR piece - stitching up for others and within a group brings such joy to my stitching. I know there a stitchers out there that do beautiful work but don't participate, for various reasons - "burned in the past", "flaked on", " not a good enough stitcher" or "finisher"and I am sure there are more reasons..... and they have all happened at some point to me in different stitching groups or projects I was involved with - but I haven't given the group experience up - I know I am certainly not the best stitcher by any stretch of the imagination - but I keep trying and every stitching experience - be it good, bad or indifferent - I always look at as a learning experience and I think we should all look at the groups a way to learn from others. That was a totally soap boxy kind of moment...... :)

A few weeks ago I got a coupon in my email - The coupon was a 60% off framing from Michael's - and if you cast your mind back a couple of years ago to a framing experience I had at Michael's that was less than good - in fact it was downright terrible - that I even wrote a strongly worded letter to the company - which is something I never do, but felt compelled to at that time. Ever since then I have been receiving their coupons, but always just ignoring and deleting them. This time I felt it might be the time that I want to give them another chance...... so I pulled together a few pieces - unusual sized pieces that I think I would never find frames for.... and hauled them to Michael's. Well, yesterday - or two days ago actually, I got a call that they were ready for pick up. So last night we ran down to south city and picked them up - and this time the experience was completely different - I am wondering if with time and a different framers that things have changed and changed for the better. I took a bunch of snaps, but they are pretty bad - but I did want to post at least one of the pieces today - so here is the least wonky of the bunch...

This is the Red Alphabet from Sheepish Designs that I finished up recently - I chose a flat black concave frame that I think sets the piece off. Here is a close up of the frame


The picture was taken with the piece propped up on the back of the sofa - before I got it up on the wall - and I am off to the side so its wonky, but you get the idea. I am going to try and get better snaps of the others as they are all on the sampler wall and looking pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Not much stitching last night as I was watching the tube since it was Kathryn Grayson Day yesterday on TCM - I caught 3 of her flicks.... Starting off with "Show Boat" - 1951 - starring Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Joe E Brown, Ava Gardner and Agnes Morehead. A very nice remake and worth a look if for nothing else the music is so nice. I enjoy this version but prefer the B&W version of 1936 starring Irene Dunn. This was followed by "So This is Love" - 1953 - again starring Kathryn Grayson and a very young, in his first credited film, Merv Griffin. This was a film I had not seen before and was a Movie Biopic of the early life and triumph of Opera star Grace Moore. Again a nice story and wonderful music. The final film I caught was "The Midnight Kiss" 1949 - starring Kathryn Grayson, Jose Iturbi, Ethel Barrymore, Mario Lanza and Keenan Wynn. This was Lanza'a big break film and made him a star. The movie story line is a little silly but again watch it for the music. Here is the trailer from the film...



There you go sports fans. I'll get some more snaps up in the next day or so. Thanks for stopping by - do come again!

Take care,
edgar

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad your experience with Michael's was better this time around. I love how this piece came out! The frame is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The simple alphabet is very striking. The black frames sets it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand how you feel about Michael's framing! I'm so scared to take my piece to those "boxed stores". However, I also got a 60% off and a double points on framing coupon from AC Moore last week. I did end up purchasing a frame and the hardware from them for the 60% off, but I'm going do the actual framing myself. So, if you are still on the fence about having them frame your work, you could always just purchase the materials and frame it yourself.

    Still, I'm so glad that you had a better experience! It is a lovely piece and that frame sets it off perfectly! I can't wait to see what else you had done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That alphabet piece is gorgeous! I'm glad you had a better experience this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your framing looks wonderful. I am so glad your experience was a good one. Sometimes just having a different framer makes all the difference in the world.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used Michaels only to purchase and assemble my pieces. I've always stretched and laced them myself. That way I know that they are straight. I just had Beatrix Potter framed through Michaels (pics on my blog). I've had bad luck with ACMoore and won't go back there. Lovely redwork piece, the frame sets it off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your framed sampler looks fabulous, a really professional job. I'm not surprised you took the risk - 60% is one heck of a discount! We don't have places like Michaels here in the UK. In fact, framing is ridiculously expensive. When I lived in the states, I spent whole weekends walking around Michaels, drooling over the different crafts. Oh, I wish they'd make the journey across the Atlantic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the impression that framing at Michael's can be hit or miss. I know of some good experiences and some awful ones! Glad you had a good one. The red alphabet is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful finishing and framing choice, so glad it was a positive experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red alphabet is gorgeous! Glad that your experience with Michaels was good. I must say I have never had a good experience with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad your framing experience went well this time!
    I used to have a great framer at Michael's. She had a great eye and did perfect work. Sadly they have gone down hill since she moved away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful framing. The frame is just perfect.

    I echo your sentiments about the HoE exchange group. I'm one of those who looked in awe at all the wonderful pieces but didn't have the courage to join until this year. And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edgar the framing is gorgeous! I always ignore those coupons too, but I may just have to give them a try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you on the exchange front. After taking a bit of an exchange break this year I'll be back at it next year for sure. Great framing. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on some more framing Edgar. I too had a bad experience with Michael's many years ago - found only when I went to reframe something years later and found my needlework piece was never even mounted - just folded on the edges and laid in there! I do think they are doing better - maybe now they've finally "got it" - and also there is more competition. I love Show Boat and the music but I'll have to check out the Irene Dunne version. It is also a great book if you've never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the framing came out really nice. Glad you had better luck this go round! The frame is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad you had a good experience at Michaels - framing is so darned expensive! Your framing is nice - love the black frame and the stitching, stunning! BBD is always beautiful - you did good work! Glad to see on your next posting, I must not be the only one who has asked about GR & DF... Weekend's almost here - so Edgar, have a great one!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...