Tuesday, December 10, 2013

#11 and we're almost half way there.....

Gentle Friends I a really enjoying this Christmas Film Countdown, reading about the films and looking things up.  I am also learning things I never knew......  today's film, #11...... is....


.... "Miracle on 34th Street" - 1947 - starring Maureen O'Hara, John Payne, Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn, Porter Hall and Gene Lockhart.  The film is based on a story by Valentine Davies.

A perennial favorite that is well cast, and well acted with little Natalie Wood as charming as can be as the disbelieving child in the story.  usually I cringe at child actors, but this performance is top notch and believable.  The basic question in the movie.... is the Macy's Santa the REAL Santa Claus?  The film has charm and wit and even an evil "Doctor" of sorts - it has been remade a couple of times in 1974 and again 1994 - but both of those versions pale in comparison to the B&W 1947 version.

Now, for a great little piece of movie trivia....  Thelma Ritter, that great character actress at 20th Century Fox, started her career with a bit part in this film.  She played the part of the weary shopping mother talking to the Floor Walker towards the beginning of the film.  It was from this small part that lead to a wonderful film career with 6 Academy Award nominations (no wins).

I found this expanded trailer created for the film by 20th Century on YouTube......


.... it's a bit on the hokie side, but interesting to see.

This fine film is another of my favorite Christmas Must See's - 
"Miracle on 34th Street" is a wonderful film worth seeing.

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by, do stop again!!  And don't forget to thrown in your name for the Gift-a-Way on yesterday Post.

Take care,
edgar

8 comments:

  1. Love this film. So far you have hit on all of my FAVE holiday movies. Looking forward to TCM airing the holiday movies. Still crossing my finger that I can get Robert Osborne as my New Year's date. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Edgar, I just wanted you to know that I am enjoying your Christmas movies posts.
    I love Christmas movies especially the older ones!
    I admired your Thanks giving spread too, you had some lucky guests.
    Take care and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.
    Lancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always seem to forget how great that movie is. The trailer is correct it has everything. I will have to watch for it..I don't seem to own that one, strange my husband says " I thought you had every holiday movie". I must say my all time favorite would be The Bishop's wife with Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young. Super movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Edgar: If I had one wish for just 24 hours I would wish to watch all my favorite Christmas movies, I would leave out the credits in the beginning and end just to see more movies.
    Merry Christmas.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choice, this is one of my favorites also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that film. My parents always had to watch it when it was on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this one for sure! So much fun! They showed it on Thanksgiving Day for a while here -- once in a colorized version which I didn't like at all. Very appropriate after the Macy's parade.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...