Monday, December 2, 2013

A 17 Day Christmas Film Coutdown

Gentle friends I hope you all had a super Thanksgiving - we had a house full of family and friends, and that's what it's all about, in my book!!  I took off Wednesday so that we could get a good running start at getting things whipped into shape for T-Day.  We started off at the SF Flower Market and had breakfast at the Cafe there, it was nice and convenient.  I picked up my 18" tapers for the table and then it was a walkabout looking at what were available and making decisions about what floral things we wanted...... Here's the dining room table with the polished silver I wanted to use and the flowers before being cut and condition and arranged....
.....  I did the polishing Tuesday evening so everything would be ready to get set up Thursday morning.....  And here's the main table just before we sat down to dinner.... I had the kids table set up separately since I cannot seat 10 people together.......
..... it was nice to sit and remember those family members that are no longer with us..... I could look out and see things we are using that go back 150+ years, the linen, silver, crystal and china conjure memories of family members long gone and not so long past... even some of the food was inspired by cooks and past Thanksgivings....... my menu was

Brussels sprouts with Onions and Bacon
Cauliflower gratin
Parker House Rolls
New Potatoes with Bacon
Cranberry Sauce with Orange Zest
Sausage Stuffing with Apples and Cranberries
Sweet Potato Soufflé
Roasted Turkey and gravy
Ham
For desert my Sister brought Marionberry and Apple Pies from Lee Farms in Tualatin, Oregon and Martin brought a Pumpkin Pie - so we had dessert covered!!
__________

Since there are only 22 days until Christmas - and really only 17 more posts I'll be making - remember I Post only during the week, I thought it would be fun to list 17 of my Favorite films, doing a film a Day.  Some of the films a more "Christmassy" than others but all of them have a little Holiday Cheer in them - and they can all be found on DVD or Blu Ray, so go watch a fun festive Holiday Film this year!!!!!

The first film I think I'll talk about is one of my all time favorites....


"Christmas in Connecticut" - 1944 - starring Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, Sydney Greenstreet, Reginald Gardiner, S.Z. Sakall and Una O'Connor.  This is one of the essential Christmas Films to see.  

In a nutshell from IMBD..."a food writer who has lied about being the perfect housewife must try to cover her deception when her boss and a returning war hero invite themselves to her home for a traditional Christmas."
_______________________

Thanks for stopping by, do stop again to read about the next film!!

Take care,
edgar

24 comments:

  1. Edgar, I love your Thanksgiving table! You inspire me to get out the antique silver I have, get polishing and start using.
    Christmas in Connecticut is one of my all time favorites. I grew up watching this movie and always said I wanted to live in a timberframe and stone house with romantic colonial furnishings just like the movie. Dennis Morgan to go with it all of course.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful Thanksgiving table! Your menu sounds wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas in Connecticut is one of the best ones ever. I have to watch it every Christmas. Great choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Thanksgiving table looks wonderful! I love a good Holiday movie and I have never seen 'Christmas in Connecticut'. I must find it and watch it now. I look forward to your 17 days Christmas Film Countdown!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table looks gorgeous, and what a delicious sounding menu!

    I'm glad you will be talking about Christmas movies. I love Christmas movies and am always glad for new suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Thanksgiving looks lovely! Christmas is Connecticut is on of my all time favorite Christmas movies also! I remember the first time I saw it and thinking as I picked up my jaw from the floor, It's the Mother from "Big Valley" only younger! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table (and menu!) look wonderful! Savor the Holidays with family and friends. Time is short. This was the first time DH and I didn't go to or have family in for T-Day. This was the first time in 38 years we went to a restaurant for dinner. No decorating (much) this year either as our kids in CA won't be visiting this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I forgot to mention...I love that movie also :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely table and a wonderful menu. Love Christmas movies, will look forward to which one is coming next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love your Thanksgiving table, and the menu sounds amazing! And this film a day thing is going to be fun! I'm going to have to write them all down. This one for sure as a start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful table, all those flowers and silver. Tonight I begin my annual watching of every " A Christmas Carol" movie made. Well most. I always start with A muppets Christmas Carol. " Light the lamp not the rat" Looking forward to countdown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like your Thanksgiving was wonderful Edgar, & Christmas in Connecticut is one of mine & John's favorites too : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks beautiful and tasty! I just love TG dinner, too. Would you believe I've already watched the color version of It's a Wonderful Life? B&W will come later!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful table! My sister was just talking about this very movie the other night. I guess that means I need to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing menu. Love, love, LOVE!!! Christmas in Connecticut!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Thanksgiving table is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, you certainly know how to put together a beautiful table!! Those flowers are gorgeous!! Your menu sounds amazing ~ makes me want to have Thanksgiving all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Edgar, what a beautiful table! I love that the pieces/dishes/linens all have memories attached - makes everything so much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your table looked great, lovely to share the memories with family & friends and remember those before you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You set a beautiful table...and love the film list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful table. It looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to say the same thing everyone else is saying... your table is spectacularly gorgeous!! I applaud you for using all your beautiful things. I know it does take some extra effort, but is well worth it I believe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What excitement I feel while looking at the spread of silver and flowers all ready to be put into their final places! Sounds like a great menu and holiday was had by all in your house. :)

    We also had a great time at my friend's parents' home; EVERYTHING was fabulous (I don't know that I can ever say that for any other Thanksgiving meal I've eaten.) I made turkey wing gravy and Ina's double chocolate pudding--It was SO Good, and has been requested for Christmas. I think I'll make it a Thanksgiving tradition: Anyone can find room for a bit of cool, rich pudding!

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...